Friday, October 1, 2010

Learn to Read or Pick Yer Nose, Your Choice...

Child Led Learning ... or something like that...

So Raccoon isn’t that big on reading or writing…or spelling and all that jazz…at least not like Owl was/is. So I sort of let him take the lead on this one. I really don't push it or practice at all. I am not worried. There is NO FRICKIN’ WAY and child of mine is getting out of this house without learning to read and write.
This is a literate household and we are fairly boring
if you don’t read you better have something moderately interesting up yer nose, because there ain’t much left to do but pick the snout if you don’t have a good book lying nearby.

So, the boys were interested in the Origins of Written Language.

WOW!
The Holy Grail of Homeschooling!!!!
Child Driven Interests!!!
Whoopie!

I jumped on this one and we did all sorts of things…
one of which was to make our own cuneiform plaques. Cool, huh?!
History.
Writing.
Art!
Curiosity.
This homeschooling mama was eating it up!
Oh Joy! What brilliant children I have!!!!
This is Raccoon with his cuneiform plaque that we now hang proudly on the art wall.


It says ASS...
that's right...
my other kids wrote their names...initials...'Keep Out' stuff like that ...
but this one spells "Ass" in ancient Sumerian.
n.i.c.e.


This one by the pool he did in Kindergarten so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised...
makes a homeschooling Mom PROUD, I tell ya'.
We must be on the right track.
I feel comforted that my child has such a zest for knowledge and a wide grasp on the English Language.
sigh....

You don't even want to know what the boys discovered they could do with the Speak-N-Spell...

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is so hilarious! My husband wants to know why I am laughing out loud but I can't tell him because my 7 year old is here and he would truly love to know these wonderful new words to add to his collection.
    Great post! ~Julie

    ReplyDelete